Question / Problem:
What causes this and how can it be resolved?
Answer / Solution:
This error may occur due to a known issue with the upgrade to 6.2.1 (including up to Fix Pack 5) from versions 6.0.0 and earlier when bookmarks are used. This issue does not occur if you are upgrading to 6.2.0.x or if you are upgrading from 6.2.0.x to 6.2.1.x.
To resolve this:
- Download Fix Pack 6 (or newer) for 6.2.1 and install it. This will update the scripts used to update the admin database where the bookmarks are stored.
- Run Install Manager to resume the failed database upgrade.
3. When the prompt to enter your Admin database displays, enter the existing Admin database being upgraded along with the login credentials:
4. The upgrade will resume as expected:
5. After Install Manager completes, verify success and log into Admin.
6. Open Projects tree and update remaining project databases (meta, data, staging):
Detailed error as recorded in WcfDataService.log:
 ERROR WcfDataService.Code.WebServiceProvider - WebServiceProvider failed to init
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at AltoSoft.Insight.DatabaseUpdater.UpdateScripts.XmlUpdateScript.GetProjectRepository()