What is Process Monitor (Procmon) and how can I use it to troubleshoot Kofax issues?
Process Monitor is an advanced monitoring tool for Windows that shows real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity.
It can be downloaded from Microsoft Sysinternals Suite https://download.sysinternals.com/files/ProcessMonitor.zip
Instructions for using Process Monitor:
- Download and install Process Monitor.
- Once installed, run Process Monitor with Administrator rights (ProcMon.exe).
- Go to File ¦ and uncheck (disable) 'Capture Events'.
- Go to Edit ¦ Clear Display.
- Go to File ¦ and check (enable) 'Capture Events'.
- Reproduce the problem in Capture while Process Monitor is running.
- Once the problem occurs, go to File ¦ and uncheck (disable) 'Capture Events'.
- Go to File ¦ Save ¦ Events displayed in current filter ¦ Native Process Monitor Format (PML) ¦ Save File.
- If requested by Kofax Technical Support personnel, send the PML file to Kofax Technical Support for review.
- Before sending, please compress the PML file (Zip, etc.).
For a more detailled documentation about functionality of procmon refer to the attached application note.
Level of Complexity