This article describes the general approach on how to update a Kofax Communication Server (KCS) system, without taking details on specific products / features into consideration.
This guide is for certified KCS technicians (KCSC2), if you need more details or need help on an Update, please contact Technical Support / Professional Services.
- Get the latest KCS Software
- Get the hotfixes that apply to your installation
- Check if the current KCS System is running on a supported operating system. See Communication Server Technical Specifications.
- Contact Technical Support to check compatibility of PS modules
- Before updating a KCS system, please make a backup using 1 of the options below:
- Either via TCBackup (if installed)
- Either via KCSBackup (if installed)
- Either manually
- Registry of the full Topcall Hive (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\TOPCALL)
- Backup User Profiles, Address Book, Services
- Backup important files from the System folder, FIS folder, Message folder
- Backup the TCOSS configuration (WCONFIG)
- Before shutting down the KCS System, make sure there is no message traffic
- In case there's no message traffic, stop the TCSRV service via Windows Services Manager (services.msc) and set the service to manual
- VM snapshots or Checkpoint can be taken as a Rollback possibility if you are running KCS in a Virtual environment (If required).
- Adapt the defaults.ini according to installed Link modules
- Start the KCS Setup and update the required components
- Once Setup is finished, update/install the TCOSS configuration
- Reboot the server and start the TCSRV service via Windows Services Manager (services.msc) and set the servicer to automatic
- Check if all KCS modules are running via the KCS Monitor / KCS Portal
- Check the Windows Event logs for any errors
- Start testing the KCS System and your business workflow, f.i.
- Inbound/Outbound Fax
- Document conversion (MS Office, PDF, ...)
- Forward incoming Fax to Mailbox, Printer, ...
- Reception Delivery/Non-Delivery notifications
Level of Complexity
|Kofax Communication Server||all|
Please also have a look at the latest Release notes and Manuals: Communication_Server_Product_Documentation