Network Load Balancing with KCS SMTP-Based Links (MX7, SM, MFP, SC7)
Use of Microsoft Network Load Balancing clusters with SMTP-Based Links on KCS 9.x and above
- Setup of NLB-Cluster with one Link using only one Network-Interface.
- Setup of NLB-Cluster with 2 or more Links using different NICs (Network Interface Controller), one is using NLB, others do not use it.
Customer uses TC/Link-MX7 and TC/Link-SM without NLB because of alternative IP-Addresses inside the applications and TC/Link-MFP with NLB because most MFPs do not support multiple server-addresses.
Setup of the Network interfaces for only one NIC (with NLB) (Reference attached NLB-Setup PDF for screenshots)
- Step 1: Configure NIC-Card LAN-Properties Internet Protocol / IP Settings
Add the Cluster IP Address to every server inside the NLB-cluster
The Cluster IP Address must be higher then the dedicated addresses of every server
The Cluster IP Address must be in the same subnet as the dedicated addresses
- Step 2: Configure NIC-Card LAN-Properties for Network Load Balancing (checkbox) on every server inside the NLB-cluster
- Step 3: Configure Load Balancing Properties / Cluster parameters
Full Internet DNS-Name of the cluster
Cluster operation mode: Multicast (not default)
- Step 4: Configure Load Balancing Properties / Host Parameters
Different Host-Priority for every server
Dedicated IP-Address for each server
- Step 5: Configure Load Balancing Properties / Port Rules
Specify the Port-Range (default port for SMTP is 25)
If you use more than one port you have to create more specific rules.
It is not possible to use a rule with more than 1 port (e.g. 25 to 26) !!!
Specify the protocol (default for SMTP is TCP)
Filtering mode: multiple host, Affinity: none, Load weight: equal (checkbox)
- Step 6: Modify the Registry HKLM/Software/WOW6432Node/Topcall/TCLinkxx/TCLSM on every server
OwnIPAddress: <Cluster IP-Address>
NLBPortControl : 1
After starting TCSRV you can see in the KCS Monitor for the NLB-Link NLB port control running (Port: <port-number>).
Setup for all other Network interfaces with one ore more IP-Address on each NIC (without NLB)
- Configure the NICs without Network Load Balancing checked
- Define one or more IP-Addresses for every additional NIC
It is possible to connect an additional NIC to the same physical network as the Cluster-NIC
The IP-Address must be different (smaller or bigger than the Cluster-IP) and different to all other IP-Addresses
After starting TCSRV you can see in the KCS Monitor for the NLB-Links: NLB port control running (Port: <port-number>)
Non-NLB-Links: without the line above.
Level of Complexity
|Kofax Communication Server||All||W2008, W2012, W2019|
Keywords: SMTP, Network Load Balancing, Cluster, NLB