When opening a Word document in Designer for Web, Designer reports the error
Component installation impossible
When Designer for Web is used with Internet Explorer, the ActiveX plugin is used for automatically opening Microsoft Word documents such as master templates and rich text blocks. When the requirements for installing the ActiveX plugin are not met, the error "Component installation impossible" is reported.
The main requirement is that .NET Framework 3.5 must be installed. After .NET Framework 3.5 is installed the following settings must be configured in Internet Explorer for the zone in which the KCM server is located:
- ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins.
- ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting.
- ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Download signed ActiveX controls. (This setting can be set to prompt as well)
When using Internet Explorer on a server, in the server manager the setting "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration" must be disabled.
Note: If the KCM server is part of the local intranet zone, then "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View" in Compatibility View settings must be disabled. The only version of Interner Explorer supported by KCM is version 11. Compatibility view is not supported. If you do require many sites to be displayed in compatibility view, consider using Enterprise Mode for Internet Explorer (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie11-deploy-guide/enterprise-mode-overview-for-ie11)
Where to locate all settings?
This section shows where to locate all the settings. Assumed is you are using Internet Explorer on the server. You are adding the KCM server to the intranet zone.
Disable "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration"
- Open Server Manager.
- Go to Local Server.
- Click on 'On' next to "IE Enhanced Security Configuration" and disable IE Enhanced security configuration.
Disable compatibility view for intranet zone.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Open menu tools (Gear Icon in top right or shortcut ALT+X) and to go menu "Compatibility View settings".
- Deselect "Display Intranet sites in Compatibility View"
Configure the intranet zone
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Open menu tools (Gear icon or shortcut ALT+X) and go to menu Internet options
- Go to Security tab, select Local intranet zone and add the site.
- On the security tab open the settings dialog of the Local intranet zone (Custom level...). Setting for Loose XAML and XAML browser applications are:
Download signed ActiveX controls:
Run ActiveX controls and plugins
Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting*
- Close all dialogs using the Ok button.
Other internet browser
When using a different internet browser than Internet Explorer with KCM 5.4 and earlier, the lock&download functionality can be used to edit documents locally. After the document is edited, the result can be uploaded back to Designer.
From KCM 5.5 it is also possible to instantly open Word documents in Designer using modern internet browsers.
Level of Complexity
|Kofax Communications Manager||All versions||n/a||n/a||n/a|