How is Device Registration Service (DRS) upgraded from Version 7.x to version 8.x?
Starting with DRS 8.0 (shipped with ControlSuite), the default install directory has changed from %program files(x86)%\Naunce> to %program files%\Nuance (Controlsuite 1.1 and below) and \Kofax (1.2 and above).
As a result, when performing upgrades, some specific files (specifically Plugins) must be moved manually to preserve functionality. See detailed steps below.
- If using SQL localdb, Manually copy the existing localDB database files (DRS_LDB.mdf and DRS_LDB_log.ldf) from existing DRS installation location (i.e. %program files(x86)%\Device Registration Service\Service>) to a safe temporary location.
- Uninstall existing DRS
- Download the latest version of ControlSiuite from the Kofax delivery site (requires Maintenance and Support)
- Using ControlSuite Install Assistant, install DRS (version is not shown in UI, but it is 8.3). Do not start DRS.
- Copy the existing Plugins folder to the new installation location. To preserve and restore the existing files complete as follows:
- Navigate in Windows to the previous installation location of Device Registration Service (i.e. C:\Program Files(x86)\Nuance\Device Registration Service)
- Navigate within this location to Service\Plugins
- Find all folder with the name NSi.DeviceManagement.Plugins.* (i.e. NSi.DeviceManagement.Plugins.RicohSOP)
- Copy the contents of these folders into the identically named folders in the new install location.
Warning: Do not copy the whole contents of the plugins folder.
- If using SQL database, reconfgure your SQL connection in the Device Configuration Manager.
- Run Database upgrade tool located in the plugins folder before starting the service.
- Start DRS
- Browse to DRS webpage and verify all devices, application and files are still present