- Start the folder watch setup wizard from one the following locations in the ShareScan Administration Console:
- click Watch folder in the Watching pane on the Devices tab
- click Set up watching on the Home tab and select Watch folder from the button dropdown
- right-click on the Watching pane and choose Add Watch folder from the menu.
- The New watcher - New Rule wizard starts.
- On the first panel you can Set watching basics.
- Set Watcher name: This field is mandatory.
- Set Folder Watching Settings:
- Watch Folder: a shared network folder in the format \\localhost\outputfolder or a shared local folder as long as you use its UNC path. The watcher service must have full access to this folder: create files, move and delete files, create subfolders. Watching a folder shared on a workgroup computer is not supported.
- Subfolder watching: choose to monitor only the Watch Folder or its subfolders as well
- Wait for jobs to start (seconds): completion delay defining how much time the manager waits before picking up the file. It is recommended to set this higher than the default zero in such a case when your device creates multi-page output files by creating a single-page one first, then adds pages to it. A zero seconds value might cause the watcher service to start processing this file even before it is ready.
- Set Network Credentials: You need to provide these only if you monitor a shared network watch folder.
- User ID: user name of the account to access the Watch Folder
- Password: password of the account to access the Watch Folder
- Domain: domain of the account to access the Watch Folder
- Specify Work Folder Settings:
- One for each watch folder: each watcher uses its own working folder
- Shared: each watcher uses the same working folder
- Name: relative or absolute path of the work folder; work folder and watch folder must be on the same root path. Note: work folders for obsolete watchers have to be deleted manually when no longer in use.
- Click Next or Schedule watching to continue.
- The Schedule watching panel is displayed.
- Specify the following settings:
- Scheduling interval (s): how often search for input files should run
- Scheduling from: starting time of scheduling
- Scheduling to: end time of scheduling. Note that a maximum period of 1day (23:59) can be set as scheduling interval
- Click Next or Set processing rules to continue.
- Specify the following settings:
- The Set processing rules panel is displayed. Specify the following settings:
- Set Rule name: This field is mandatory.
- Set Priority: provide a value between 1 to 5 to manage potential conflicts between rules watching the same folder with overlapping filters (for instance, two rules that both take PDF files as input). In such cases the higher priority rule processes the input file. The highest priority value is 1. It is strongly recommended that you use different priority settings for your potentially conflicting rules.
- Select the processing mode:
- Process as (scanned) images: This mode processes incoming files as if they are all actual scans - that is, all scanning-related operations and transformations (for instance deskew, ocr, bates stamping, etc.) set in the assigned connector profile are carried out on them. Pages processed as (scanned) images are included in the total page count.
- Route to destination without processing: Use this mode if you want pass your files to their destinations without processing and/or transformation. (Your scans will be stored in their native file format.) Routing leaves the original file names in place: to apply new naming use Advanced File Naming (under Document Naming Option in the assigned connector profile).
- For either option, you can assign the filetypes to be handled by the rule. Simply mark the extensions you want to be handled by your rule.
- To modify your list of choices, click the Edit button to reach the filetype editing dialog. Select/deselect filetypes as needed and confirm your choice with any of the following buttons:
- Add: type the extension into the field, and click this button.
- Remove Selected: mark the extensions to be removed from the list and click this button. You can remove any of the factory default supplied extensions as well as the ones you have added.
- Cancel: discard changes.
- Save & Close: confirm your updates and return to the wizard panel.
- Click Next or Add more filters to continue.
- The Additional filtering panel is shown.
- Use these options only if you want to include or exclude files with specific names. Your options are:
- Only include files named
- Exclude files named
Name filters must be in the format filtername*.
Click Next or Associate with a profile to proceed.
In the next panel, you can associate an Express connector profile with the watch folder. This will process the incoming files. Please note that it can use only such Document Services that do not involve end-user interaction.
Select a connector profile. Click Next or Set post-processing options to proceed.
In this panel you can configure the following:
Set Rule owner: this is the person to whom the rule is assigned. To set up multiple owners, list them separated by semicolons, in the domain\user format.
Configure the Send notification to option, if applicable: provide notification email address.
Choose what type of notification email to receive:
On successful processing
On failed processing
Set what happens to processed files - configure the Processed files will be: option as follows:
Deleted: files are deleted after processing
Moved to: files are moved to a specified folder, or kept in the watch folder. This folder must be accessible to the account running the watcher service.
Set what happens to failed jobs; Configure Move failed jobs to option: browse for a folder where failed jobs will be stored. This folder must be accessible to the account running the watcher service.
Click Next to proceed.
Review the full summary of your rule and click GO! to apply the rule.
In the Administration Console, confirm the watcher created has a green icon. If not, right-click and select "Activate".
For additional information regarding the Email Watching service please refer to the .