Is it okay to disable the 2:00 am ShareScan restart?
What is the 2:00 AM restart?
The 2:00 am service restart has been a feature of the eCopy ShareScan product since ShareScan 3.x. In ShareScan 5.x and 6.x this feature restarts the processes for ShareScanManager and the Apache Tomcat (if installed). ShareScan Agent is not restarted. This is partly to mitigate against memory management and fragmentation issues which may occur if the ShareScan Manager service is run continuously. As ShareScan relies on and works with many third-party libraries, files, components and back end systems, memory management is not always within the control of Kofax software.
Note: During this restart, ShareScan should not be used. Some devices running ShareScan Embedded may be temporarily disconnected then reconnected to the ShareScan Manager.
When should the Automatic Restart be adjusted?
In most environments 2:00 AM is outside of office hours where scannning takes place. If scanning is occurring during this time or other processes such as a server backup are occurring, the 2:00 AM restart should be moved to a different time.
ShareScan 6.3 has an improved restart algorithm which works more reliably.
If using ShareScan 5.0 and 5.1, and the services are not properly restarting after the 2:00 am restart, there is a possibility that the services are taking longer to stop than expected by the system. The script below may be used as an alternative to the built-in functions. This script is not recommended for ShareScan 5.2 SP2 or 5.4.
If Apache Tomcat is not installed, refer to .
How to properly adjust the 2:00 AM restart (for ShareScan 5.0 and 5.1):
There are two parts to adjusting the restart. First, disable the ShareScan default restart. Second, create Windows scheduled tasks to perform the restart. As most environments have a conflict with the restart being too quick, providing ample time between the stop and start is important. In enterprise environments with large quantities of devices, more time may be required.
A. Disabling the default 2:00 AM Restart:
ShareScan 5.0 - 6.x
- Open the ShareScan Admin Console.
- In the ribbon select the "Advanced" tab.
- Click on "Timers".
- Under the "Auto Restart ShareScan Manager" group deselect the "enabled" checkbox.
- Click "Save".
- In the ribbon "Home" tab select "Restart" to restart the ShareScan manager.
ShareScan 4.x, 3.x:
- Close the admin console
- Open Windows Services
- Stop the ShareScan Manager and Agent services
- Click "Start > Run".
- Type "regedit" without the quotation marks and click "OK".
- Export a backup of the registry by clicking " File > Export".
- Save this file to the Windows Desktop and name the file "backup". (Keep "backup" for a few days and if there are no issues, then this file can be deleted.)
- Browse to following registry key:
- Right click and select "New > String Value".
- Rename the String "RestartTimer".
- Double click on the key and set the value to -1.
- Close the registry editor.
- Start the ShareScan Manager and agent services
B. Scheduling Windows tasks:
- For version 5.0 installations download the batch files attached to this article onto the admin console PC. Scripts for ShareScan 5.1 must be manually created. In versions 3.x and 4.x the batch files are included in the installation.
- Click "Start > Control Panel > Scheduled tasks > Add scheduled task".
- In the wizard click "Next" then "browse".
- Browse to the Stop batch file and select "Open".
- Note: In ShareScan 3.x and ShareScan 4.x this is located in the "C:\Program Files\eCopy\ShareScan OP\ShareScanOPManager" folder by default. In ShareScan 5.x this is located where the files were saved in Step 1.
- Schedule the task for 2:00 AM or an appropriate time for the environment, Daily, and set the start date for the next day. Click "Next"
- Provide local admin credentials. Click "Next" then "Finish"
- Follow Steps 2-6 above selecting the start batch file and selecting a time 15 minutes after the stop task.
SS50-restart-batch-files.zip (475 bytes)