Sharing watch folder settings between multiple managers
Information on sharing watch folder settings between multiple managers:
To achieve failover capabilities and load balancing benefits, it is recommended to employ more than one watcher monitoring the same folder or email address. In such cases the only supported configuration is that these watchers run on different ShareScan Managers, and these Managers use the same database.
If you have several watch folders on the same file share with different watchers for each, it is strongly recommended that these watchers use the same user credentials for access. In case the different watchers have to use different user credentials, it is recommended to have them running on distinct ShareScan Managers.
Watch folder workflows consist of three parts:
- Connector used to process, route and store the file
- The Watcher which includes the folder location, folder monitoring settings etc
- The Watcher Rules including which files to process, filtering, and notification settings
The Connectors can be shared across multiple managers in one of two ways:
- AutoSync is enabled allowing connectors to be shared across all managers using the same SQL database. Connectors are updated across all managers when a change is made to the connector.
- Connector profiles are exported via the Profile tool. On all other managers the connector profile is imported. Connector profiles must be reimported when a change is made.
The Watcher can be exported via the Profile tool and imported on additional managers. Unlike Connector Profiles, Watchers are not shared when Auto-Sync is enabled. Additionally, imported Watchers do not overwrite existing Watchers with the same name. If a Watcher of the same name already exists, this should be deleted or renamed to prevent confusion.
The Watcher Rules are exported and imported together with the Watcher. There is no ability to select which rules to import or export specifically.
How to configure shared watch folders:
- Determine if the environment is using AutoSync. See additional recommendations below before proceeding.
- Ensure the connectors are available on all managers either by AutoSync or via Profile Export/Import. Watchers are not able to be imported when the configured connector profile is not available.
- Export the watchers from Manager A using the Profile Export/ Import tool.
- On Managers B-Z, import the watchers using the Profile Export/ Import tool.
- In the Devices > Watching menu Right-Click on the Watcher Icon and select Activate. The Watcher Icon should display a Green color once activated.
Watching and AutoSync
If you are working in an Auto-Synced multi-manager environment you must enable AutoSync before creating the watchers. Best Practice recommendations on the order of implementations are listed below.
- Turn AutoSync ON at the manager whose configuration data you want to share with the other Managers (Manager 'A').
- Create/edit/test connector profiles on Manager 'A'. As you are completing this task, the very same connector profiles you are creating are shared across all other linked Managers (Managers 'B' and 'C'). Ensure that the connector profiles for Watching are such that do not require end-user interaction (for details, see the relevant connector help topics).
- Create your watchers on Manager 'A'.
- Export the watchers from Manager 'A' and
- If you chose not to export them from Manager 'A' then import them to Managers 'B' and 'C', you need to create the watchers you want separately on Managers 'B' and 'C' as well.
- Create/edit/test connector profiles at the manager (Manager 'A') whose configuration data you want to share with the other Managers (Managers 'B' and 'C'). Ensure that the connector profiles for Watching are such that do not require end-user interaction.
- Turn AutoSync ON at Manager 'A'. This will share the connector profiles to Managers 'B' and 'C'.
- Create your watchers on Manager 'A'. If you chose not to export them from Manager 'A' then import them to Managers 'B' and 'C', you need to create the watchers you want separately on Managers 'B' and 'C' as well.
For additional information regarding the Email Watching service please refer to the .