What is a key reset?
A license key reset is when the license activation information on the Kofax activation server is cleared to allow the activation to occur on a new machine fingerprint.
When is a key reset required?
ShareScan 5.x and 6.x: A key reset is required when the Server hosting the SQL component of ShareScan is changing or the SQL instance is changing. This is irrespective of whether the solution is for Embedded Device types or ScanStation device types.
- Common reasons for requiring a Key reset: SQL database is migrating to a new server, SQL server is configured to Failover to a new node that causes licensing errors in ShareScan, SQL instance is renamed or changed, Windows Operating System upgrades, Full reinstallations or migrations of the software where SQL database is reinstalled or migrated. In some cases, when upgrading the software to a newer version.
How to request a key reset:
- Ensure that the license key is registered to an End user account or Dealer sub-account.
- Open a support ticket requesting a key reset on https://support.kofax.com
- Provide the following information:
- The license key(s) to be reset. This may be provided as a license report. (See How to create a license report for or )
- If a reseller is submitting on behalf of a customer, the Customer Company information must be provided
- The status of production on the server.
- Provide error messages received if applicable.
- If submitting a request in advance of a major change such as a migration or reinstallation, provide the approximate date and time when this is occurring.
- Provide details regarding recent or upcoming changes to the implementation indicating why a key reset is required.