Updates required after changing a server name
Is it possible to change the name of a system running KTA?
Yes, although there may be many places where the name of the system is referenced.
The following is general guidance based on the example of an all-in-one local test system. With a larger distributed installation there might be additional customizations, other Kofax products, and non-Kofax components that also need changes to accommodate the new name.
The configuration utility is available in the install source at \Utilities\ConfigurationUtility\KTAConfigurationUtility.exe. Go through the tabs to make changes to anything that used the old system name. For example:
- If the name of the database server has changed, make the appropriate changes on the Common tab. Note that prior to KTA 7.5, the documents database connection string is not correctly updated by the utility. So instead follow the steps here.
- On the streaming tab update the base address if it is using the old system name.
- If an app server was renamed, make sure to change the Core Services Location on the web servers. See Communication Between KTA Web and App Servers.
Windows Authentication User Names
For a local non-domain system using windows authentication, the computer name would be part of the full user name in the form of ComputerName\UserName, and thus the name change would prevent the login from working correctly. This would not be applicable when on a domain or when requiring manual authentication. In this scenario, run the following query against the main TotalAgility database to update the users to the new computer name (replacing “OldComputerName” and “NewComputerName” with the applicable values):
UPDATE nt_resource SET nt_name = REPLACE(nt_name, 'OldComputerName\', 'NewComputerName\')
If the name of the license server changed, then login to the KTA Designer which will show an error and require that the license server name be corrected. Set the updated computer name and the port (default 3581). Activating the license again is not required – simply attempt to login to the designer again after the license server is set correctly.
On-Premise Multi-Tenant Installation (OPMT)
- If the name of the database server hosting MasterTenants has changed, use the configuration utility to update the connection string on for the Tenant Management System.
- If the name of the database server hosting DataCenterTenants has changed, use the configuration utility to update the connection string across the installation.
- If the externally assessable name has changed, update TotalAgilityHostNameLive and TotalAgilityHostNameDev accordingly in the configuration utility.
Similarly make sure that DNS entries or hosts files are correctly pointing to the new externally accessible name.
If the name of the license server changed, then login to the Tenant Management System which will show an error and require that the license server name be corrected. Set the updated computer name and the port (default 3581). Make sure to make the change for both live and dev environments. Activating the license again is not required – simply close the License Activation page.
Tenant Database Server
If the name of the database server hosting the tenant databases has changed then follow these steps:
- Login to the TMS and click on Database Servers
- Rather than editing the server name of the existing database server definition, create new one with the new server name, then close the Database Servers page
- Click Tenant Actions > Update Tenant Database Server
- For each applicable tenant, select the tenant then set New Database Server to the newly created entry with the new server name.
- A warning will be displayed that says: “If you change the Database Server then IT must copy and restore the tenant database onto the new database server, the tenant will not work until the database is moved. Are you sure you want to continue?”
- After clicking OK, the tenant connection strings will be updated to have the new server name
If the system with the changed name is running Message Connector, then the Message Connector URL may need to be updated to the new system name in the Integration > Import settings in the KTA Designer (or on Integration Servers in an OPMT installation).
If the name of the database server hosting the Insight Administration database has changed, then open the Insight Installation Manager and login. Under Databases, click Edit, correct the server name, and click Save.
If the name of the database server hosting the KAFTA_meta or KAFTA_data database has changed, then Login to Insight Admin Console and under Projects, click on KAFTA. Under Connection Option, click Change. Update the server names and click OK. Depending on the version of Insight, this may have wording that suggests it will create a new database, however it will only update the connection to use the existing database you have specified.
If the name of the database server hosting the TotalAgility databases has changed, then while still in Insight Admin Console, expand the KAFTA project and correct the server name for each database listed (make sure to save each). Additionally expand “Connections” and correct the entry for TotalAgility.
If the execution plans were still trying to run before the names were corrected, then they may have failed, which leaves the execution status set and will then continue to fail. To correct this, do a data load for execution plans named “Tech Support – Reset Hourly Plan Status” and “Tech Support – Reset Minute Plan Status” (the dates used for the data load are not relevant for these plans).
If the Insight server name has changed, update the link to Insight in the KTA Designer under Integration > Insight > Server Url. In both the Designer and Workspace, this will not take effect until logging out and logging back in.
Level of Complexity
Article # 3034932