QAID # 16104 Published
Question / Problem:
How to activate a Kofax Express license on a PC with multiple Network Interface Controllers (NICs)
Answer / Solution:
The Kofax Express licensing process is designed to use the Network Interface Controller's unique MAC address to generate a Machine ID (Machine ID is a static value which is used to generate a License Code). The Kofax Express license is bound to the MAC Address/Machine ID via the License Code when it is detected on the PC.
An issue may arise during the Kofax Express license verification process if multiple Network Interface Controllers (NICs) are detected. Express may detect the MAC address of a different NIC than that which was detected and bound in the activation of the license. When this occurs, Express is unable to verify the validity of the license.
In such cases, Kofax Express can be manually configured to use the Microsoft Globally Unique Identifier (GUID) to generate the Machine ID instead of using the MAC address.
NOTE: If a license has already been activated using a MAC Address as the Machine ID, please deactivate the license using the instructions in QAID 12976.
To force Kofax Express to activate using the computer's GUID as the Machine ID:
- Uninstall any VPN software.
- In Windows XP, go to the Windows Control Panel and click on Network Connections. In Windows Vista or Windows 7, type "Network Connections" into the Start Menu's search bar.
- Right-click each connection and select Disable.
- Back up and delete the
KofaxLicenseManager.xmlfile, located in the following folder:
C:\ProgramData\Kofax\Kofax Express Licensing\
- Open Kofax Express and go to Help ¦ License ¦ Activate.
- Check the Machine ID field. This field should now be populated with a 32-digit sequence of characters. This is the computer's GUID.
- Go back to the Network Connections and re-enable the network connection used to connect to the Internet.
- In Kofax Express, click Get License Code. A congratulations message should appear when the activation has completed successfully.
- Reinstall any VPN software that was uninstalled in Step 1.
- Re-enable all network connections.