QAID # 12706 Published
Question / Problem:
How can I activate a VRS 4.x license on a PC with multiple Network Interface Controllers (NICs)?
Answer / Solution:
The VRS 4.x/5.x license process is designed to use the Network Interface Controller's unique MAC address to generate a Machine ID (Machine ID is a static number which is used to generate a License Code). The VRS license is bound to the MAC Address/Machine ID via the License Code when it is detected on the PC.
An issue may arise during the VRS 4.x/5.x license verification process if multiple Network Interface Controllers (NICs) are detected. VRS may detect the MAC address of a different NIC than that which was detected and bound in the activation of the license. VRS would then be unable to verify the validity of the license.
In such cases, VRS 4.x/5.x can be manually forced to use the Microsoft Globally Unique Identifier (GUID) to generate the Machine ID instead of using the MAC address.
NOTE: If a license has already been activated using a MAC Address as the Machine ID, please deactivate the license using the VRS utility: deactivate.exe (QAID 12123).
Please follow the steps below to force VRS 4.x to activate using the computer's GUID as the Machine ID:
- In Windows XP, go to the Windows Control Panel and click on Network Connections. In Windows Vista, type "Network Connections" into the Start Menu's search bar.
- Right-click on each connection and select Disable.
- Open Activate VRS in the Start Menu ¦ All Programs ¦ Kofax VRS program group.
- An error will appear stating that Activate cannot locate a network connection. Click Cancel.
- Another error message will appear; click OK.
- Once the Activate VRS screen appears, check the Machine ID field. This field should now be populated with a 32-digit sequence of characters. This is the computer's GUID.
- Go back to the Network Connections and re-enable the network connection used to connect to the Internet.
- In the Activate utility, click Get License Code. A congratulations message should appear when the activation has completed successfully.
- Re-enable all network connections.