Question / Problem:
How to install Kofax VRS 5.1 or 5.1.1 Elite in a server/client configuration so that it uses the VRS licensing bundled with a Kofax TotalAgility (KTA) 7.x license and the shared Kofax VRS profiles managed by Kofax VRS 5.1 or 5.1.1 Elite Server.
Answer / Solution:
Installing Kofax VRS 5.1 or 5.1.1 Elite as server/client provides two major benefits:
- Central management of shared Kofax VRS profiles
- Central management of Kofax VRS licensing using the KSAL License service.
In a KTA environment, where central management of Kofax VRS licensing is handled by the KTA License service, the Kofax VRS Elite server acts as a pass-through from the KTA license service to the client workstations.
To install Kofax VRS 5.1 or 5.1.1 Elite in a server/client configuration so that it uses the VRS licensing from the KTA License:
- On a separate server where KTA is NOT installed, perform a server installation of Kofax VRS Elite.
- From the Kofax VRS 5.1 or 5.1.1 installation media, run VRSServerInstall.bat.
- When the VRS installer prompts for license information, click Cancel .
- Once the VRS installer has completed the installation, open the Kofax License Utility (Start Menu | All Programs | Kofax VRS | Kofax License Utility)
- From the File menu, click Select Server
- Enter the Hostname, Fully-Qualified Domain Name, or the IP Address of the KTA license server in the
Primary License Serverfield and click OK.
- The KTA license information, including any VRS station licenses that may be bundled in the KTA license, will be displayed in the Kofax License Utlity. After confirming that the license information is correct, close the Kofax License Utility.
- Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Kofax\ImgCtls
- Share the Deployment folder to make the client installer available to the client workstations.
- Configure Windows Firewall (or any software firewall running on the server) to allow traffic on port 3581.
- On the newly install Kofax VRS server, install the Kofax TotalAgility License Proxy.
- From the Kofax TotalAgility installation media, run \TotalAgility\Licensing\Installs\Kofax.Licensing.TotalAgility.Proxy.Installer.msi
- In the Service Account Setup window, enter the credentials for a user account that has access to KTA that will be used as the service user account. The user name should be in the format: Domain\User.
- In the TotalAgility Connection Setup window, enter the URL of the KTA License service and the System Session ID.
Note: The URL of the License service must be in the following format where <server name> is the Hostname, Fully-Qualified Domain Name, or IP Address of the KTA License server:
Note: If the KTA license server is configured to use HTTPS, use
https://in the URL.
Note: The System Session ID can be located in the KTA Designer | System Settings | Settings |Session ID
- On each scan station, perform a client installation of Kofax VRS 5.1 or 5.1.1 Elite.
Note: Do NOT install Kofax VRS 5.1 or 5.1.1 Elite client on any scan station where Kofax Capture is already installed as this will break VRS's ability to access any VRS licenses and/or shared profiles that are centrally managed by Kofax Capture.
On the scan station, navigate to the following shared folder, where <VRSServer> is the Hostname, Fully-Qualified Domain Name, or IP Address of the Kofax VRS 5.x Elite server: \\<VRSServer>\Deployment
- Run Kofax VRS.msi
- Configure Windows Firewall (or any software firewall running on the scan station) to allow traffic on port 3581.