QAID # 14225 Published
Question / Problem:
How to install a New Kofax VRS Elite 5.0 - 5.1.1 server configuration
Answer / Solution:
A client/server configuration is appropriate when planning to perform enterprise-level scanning and image processing on multiple workstations, which can be distributed across several locations. In this situation, the server computer is typically used for centralized Kofax VRS administrative tasks related to license and Scanner Profile management, and the client workstations are used for scanning and image processing.
Before installing Kofax VRS as a server
- Kofax VRS server installations are certified on the following Operating System:
- Windows 2003 Server, 32- or 64-bit
- Windows 2008 Server, 32- or 64-bit
- A UNC path to install Kofax VRS is not recommended. For Windows 2008 Server, drives that are mapped from a UNC path are not supported.
- It is required that the Kofax VRS server installation be completed before installing Kofax VRS client software on workstations.
- Kofax VRS requires that port 3581 remain open for communication related to Licensing, Shared Profiles and Auto Profile training data.
Installing a Kofax VRS server
- Log in as a user with Administrator rights and close all applications on the computer.
- Start the installer by running
VRSServerInstall.batfrom one of the following:
- Folder containing the extracted Kofax VRS product files
- Removable electronic media
- On the Welcome screen, click Next to proceed with setup.
During setup, accept the Kofax VRS license agreement and specify a location to install the Kofax VRS server.
- On the Kofax Licensing Utility ¦ Activate window, select Software and then type the serial number and product code issued at the time of purchase.
- Click Automatic to activate the license.
- Click Finish when notified that the installation is complete.
- Verify that the Deployment folder in the server installation is accessible form any workstation where Kofax VRS client software will be installed.
The Kofax VRS 5.1.2 installer prompts the user to choose whether to install VRS as a standalone installation or a server installation. Therefore, the VRSServerInstall.bat has been removed from the Kofax VRS 5.1.2 installation media.